On our vacation, the hotel provided a pitcher brimming with ice water by the pool. This in itself was a nice touch, but to make it extra special they placed the water pitcher on top of a folded napkin rose.
It's interesting to see what people bring back from their travels. For me, it's usually thousands of digital photos, a few spices, and on this trip a new napkin folding technique!
A folded napkin rose looks pretty and impressive, but best of all it prevents wooden tabletops from getting damaged with a white water ring.
It is really simple to create one yourself! Here are the quick and easy steps:
1. Start by laying a cloth napkin flat on the table with the best side facing down.
(Wrinkles not included! I didn't even iron the napkin and it still turned out beautifully.)
2. Fold each of the four corners into the center.
3. Again, fold each of the four corners into the center. The size should be a quarter of the size of the original napkin.
4. Carefully flip the entire folded napkin over.
5. Fold each of the four corners into the center. Hold the center with your finger or a sturdy object like a glass to secure it in place.
6. Continuing to hold the center in place, reach under each corner to pull out the flap creating “petals”.
7. Reach under each side and pull out a second layer of “petals”. (This step is optional, but it adds another layer of dimension, which I think looks great.)
8. Place the folded napkin rose onto your table and put your glass pitcher in the center. Enjoy!
Ideas For Other Uses: You could also put a bowl or glass in the center of a folded napkin rose for a special meal. Or make several and place a dinner roll, cupcake, or even a flower in the center for each dinner guest.
Small details like adding a folded napkin rose to your water pitcher help make entertaining extra special and protect your tabletops inexpensively and that definitely works for me. I love do-it-yourself projects that are both functional and beautiful!
This post is linked to: DIY Day