Friday, June 18, 2010
I originally saw the idea on Disney’s Family Fun website, but made a few additions to really make it our own like adding a photo of my son with his pappy and a gift card holder.
It’s really easy to make and is constructed with items you probably have around the house. Here are a few materials and instructions you’ll need to make your very own faux tape measure card:
Yellow Card Stock
Tape and/or Double Sided Tape
A Real Tape Measure (Optional, use as inspiration)
Gift Card (Optional)
1. Make all your cuts, as shown.
- Cut the rectangular box in half across the middle.
- Cut half the bottom section at a diagonal.
- Cut a 1” by 11” inch strip of yellow card stock to make the ruler tape.
- Either cut a 3” inch square of yellow cardstock OR cut in the shape as shown in the image to add a photo and gift card.
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil to 2 ½” by 6” inches.
3. Insert the bottom of the box (the one that is cut on the diagonal) into the top of the box.
5. Fold the 2 ½” x 6” piece of aluminum foil into thirds lengthwise, then fold it into a flat tab about 1” inch long. Tape it to the end of the yellow ruler tape strip.
A few ideas for the special ruler tape message:
- Dad, You Rule!
- We love you thiiiiis much!
- You really go the distance, Dad!
- Happy Father’s Day Dad, You Rule!
- Happy Birthday Dad, You Rule!
7. If you are adding a photo and gift card, fold the yellow card stock on the lines. On the outside of the yellow paper card write “tape measure”. On the inside, tape a photo to the left side. Then on the right side, fold the flap up and secure it with tape to make a pocket for the gift card. Cut off the top two corners. On the gift card pocket write a message like “Happy Father’s Day! We Love You!” and insert your gift card into the pocket. Put double sided tape on the back of the yellow card and adhere it to the black tape measure box to complete the project.
This post is linked to:
- Father's Day Posts at New Nostalgia
- Frugal Friday at Life as Mom
- Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things in Life