We made a few modifications to the original recipe including:
- Replace the 10oz. can of white meat chicken with a couple of boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded or diced. (we always have extra boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer and they work perfectly in this recipe)
- Replace the bell peppers with jalapeño peppers (if your family doesn't like heat go with the original bell peppers)
- Replace regular couscous with whole wheat couscous
Black Bean Lime Chili
Recipe adapted from Food Network, Juan-Carlos Cruz
Yield: 6 Servings
Follow the directions on the package of CousCous or bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Pour in the couscous in one steady stream. Stir to prevent lumps. Turn off the heat, cover, and set aside for 15 minutes. After liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.
Black Bean Lime Chili Directions:
1. In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook until soft.
3. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add peppers and chili powder and cook for another minute.
5. Stir in tomatoes and black beans; bring all to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
6. Add chicken and heat through.
7. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and remove from heat.
8. Serve over fluffed couscous.