We always have a bunch of bananas hanging around for a quick snack. At our house, as soon as they start to get little brown spots it’s time to make them into something. Sometimes we make banana bread, sometimes I slice and stash them in the freezer for a fruit smoothie, but on a hot summer day I love to make Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops as a fun treat!
They’re super easy to make and besides ripe bananas, the few ingredients required are already in my pantry.
Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops
- 3 or 4 Ripe Bananas (make sure they are still firm)
- Dark Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (about 6 ounces)
- Peanuts (about 3-4 Tablespoons)
- Wooden Craft Sticks
1. Peel each banana, then cut in half and insert a wooden craft stick into each half.
2. Place the bananas on sticks on a glass pyrex dish or cookie sheet covered with parchment paper so the bananas don’t stick.
3. Cover dish filled with bananas on sticks with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the freezer until frozen (approximately 2-3 hours).
4. Chop the peanuts and place in a shallow dish or plate.
5. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler or try using the microwave. I melted chocolate chips in the microwave in a Sunday cup that also works great for dipping the frozen bananas into and you’ll have fewer dishes to clean up...bonus! If you use a double boiler, pour the melted chocolate into a Sunday cup or tall glass for easier dipping. Whichever way you choose to melt the chocolate be careful not to burn it or you’ll have to try this step again.
6. Dip each frozen banana into the melted chocolate. Turn the banana to fully coat it with chocolate and then roll in the peanuts or other toppings immediately.
7. Place each completed banana pop back on the parchment covered dish.
8. Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap, parchment paper, waxed paper, or freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Make it your own with your favorite toppings! Why not try: Sprinkles, Graham Cracker Crumbs, Almond Slivers, Crushed Cookies, Mini Chocolate Chips, Chopped Candy Bars, Toasted Coconut, or Chopped Walnuts. Enjoy!
This post is linked to:
- Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam